Discovers hidden relationships between people, place and time
Nashville, TN – January 31, 2012 –Digital Reasoning™, the leader in unstructured data analytics at scale, today announced Automated Understanding, a suite of innovative capabilities in its flagship product Synthesys®. Automated Understanding analyzes unstructured and structured big data to reveal the hidden and potentially valuable relationships between people, place and time that are essential in defense and intelligence, insurance, law enforcement, healthcare, and financial applications.
Today, organizations face an overwhelming volume of complex data – including surveillance, operational, financial, scientific data as well as social media data. The challenge is that the data is mostly unstructured and not in a form that can easily be exploited as an information asset. Until now, the tools have not been available to discover these relationships, on a large scale, beyond basic keyword matching. Existing tools were either keyword-based or required extensive data preparation in order to understand the most basic unstructured text information.
“The increased volume, velocity and variety of data have focused the attention of commercial enterprises on extracting value from data for competitive advantage as never before. Digital Reasoning’s focus on automated understanding highlights the company’s differentiating capabilities, designed to identify and uncover relationships to make it easier for organizations to turn that volume, velocity and variety of data into actionable intelligence,” said Matt Aslett, Research Manager, Data Management and Analytics at 451 Research.
“Two key challenges have limited the ability of organizations to fully analyze unstructured data. First, every source of unstructured text required a data model to be created and maintained in order to understand what the data meant. Second, the data models were pre-defined, which eliminated the ability to determine what you might not know about the data,” said Rob Metcalf, President and COO of Digital Reasoning. “Automated understanding removes those barriers and exposes relationships between people, place, and time for true discovery.”
Automated Understanding incorporates these key capabilities:
- Unified Analytics: A suite of advanced analytics unifies fact extraction, pronoun resolution, disambiguation, and concept resolution into an integrated solution that provides advanced capabilities and avoids customized development to integrate point solutions.
- Multiple Language Support: Comprehensive analysis of various languages to extract and relate entities within the textual data. English, Chinese, Arabic, Farsi and Urdu are currently supported.
- Geo-Reasoning: Understands and automatically identifies both explicit, known locations and implicit ones. Known locations are tagged with geo-coordinates from various gazetteers. Implicit locations such as “30 miles west of mountains” are identified as well.
- Temporal-Reasoning: Automatically identifies text, which refers to time and relates it to other extracted entities within the data. Time includes days of the week, months, holidays, and regular time expressions.
- Associative Net: Powerful, patented technology identifies entities with similar meaning in context. Associative Net provides confidence to the analyst that all connections, relationships and synonyms are being considered — including intentionally coded language or “cover terms.”
- Data Fusion: Integrates unstructured and structured data from disparate sources into a unified knowledge base.